Sunday, August 16, 2015

FRESH AIR AND SUNSHINE

After being couped up in the hospital for three days,  I just didn't feel like going straight home, so decided to head to the Bundy Zoo for a walk out in the fresh air and sunshine.  The zoo is not far from the hospital or Steve's -parent's place so thought it would be worth while to just go for a walk to to clear my head and feel the warmth of the sunshine on my back.

I was feeling pretty tired and at this stage Steve was still in the emergency Dept and I am afraid to say that the seating in there is enough to give anyone a sore back.  Plus I hadn't really seen the light of day for three days, so it was important for me to get out and feel some freedom. 

I have special childhood memories of this park and as a child would love to play on the big guns and bamboo which looks over the river.. 
My first port of call in heading towards these guns were the rotunda...

Still looking as majestic as ever...
On a Sunday night often a group of us would head here after church.  Often we would just sit around and talk or bring our guitars and have a sing a long...
Then it was to the banks of the river to see the guns, but much to my disappointment they had all gone... I was so sad....
Still the views of the river were still pretty spectacular...
The rail bridge across the good old Burnett River...
Lovely boardwalk along the river...
Such a pretty river.... holds so many special memories of my teenage years...
After going for a walk around the river on one of the many boardwalks, I headed towards the zoo.  I did manage to talk another couple of photos.  It was pretty windy whilst I was there and a little cool. but I loved seeing these palm trees dancing in the wind...
The railway bridge...
The palm trees dancing in the wind...
Whilst the zoo looks so much more ecologically friendly these days, it does not house the array of animals it used to when I was growing up there.  We used to love to go and see the monkeys.  They no longer live there anymore...
Alexandra Park Zoo
Emu enclosure...
The zoo seems to house birds more than anything else these days....
After walking through the zoo I started to head towards the car when i suddenly found the guns...
Colonial guns
They have been restored which is lovely to see and they have had their own housing built over them...
The guns from my childhood memories...
From the other angle...
 Whilst it is lovely to see them so loving looked after and restored,  I miss them being on the river bank surrounded by the bamboo.  I miss that no longer will they have all the little children climbin all over them with their imaginations running wild on fighting off the enemy, and any other imaginations that you might have whilst playing with them...
Mosaic work on the footpath...
The park has been restored and it is nice to see it with a fresh lease of life....
It is nice to go back and revisit the memories of one's past...
It certainly cleared my head and refreshed me...

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP