Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude

At the end of 2007, (around my 50th Birthday) I decided to keep a "Joy Journal" and do a layout a week for my 50th Year. 2007 was a really hard year for me work wise, and when I started the journal it was to help me focus on the good things in my life and to be thankful for them rather than get weighed down by the stresses occuring each and every day. In 2008, my work cirumstances changed and so did the stresses in my life - things were so much better and I actually loved going to work again each day. Whilst I was faithful in keeping my journal for the first 9-10 months, somehow I didn't quite finish it the last couple of months. I still have quite a few of the photos still sitting on my desk so this week I decided to get back into it and try and complete my little album. I have about 12 pages to go to complete my album. I really should have been doing it these past 4 months - it would probably have helped me put things more into perspective. Thought I would share the few layouts I did this week. Still have 7 or 8 photos sitting on my desk so hope to get them done real soon.
I've been playing with Photoshop again lately. Mostly I have been playing with photos adjusting the brightness and contrast, brightening eyes etc and having lots of fun. Also did a digital layout - pretty basic, just got to remember how to do it all again. Have also done a new banner for my blog which hopefully will get uploaded again soon.
Patterned Papers: Willro & Co Papers
Stitching: Willro & Co
Flourish: Will ro & Co
Brushes: Unknown.
Happiness Tag: Unkown.

Hoping to scrapbook tonight and make the cuttest cupcake. Will share once I have finished it.
I did come accross these couple of quotes on Gratitude that I would love to share.


20 Little Attitudes
of Gratitude

  1. Mind your manners. Say please, thank you and excuse me.
  2. Smile when you see your family. Turn your frown upside down.
  3. Pick up after yourself.
  4. Notice when others do kind things for you, show gratitude by action or words.
  5. Say I love you before going to bed.
  6. Give hugs daily.
  7. Don’t worry about tomorrow. Focus on what you are happy about today.
  8. Create gratitude journals to keep track of daily blessings.
  9. Show thankfulness for even the little things others do for you.
  10. Leave love notes in unexpected places like lunch boxes and under pillows.
  11. Encourage someone with a compliment.
  12. Verbalize what you are grateful for when you feel like complaining about life.
  13. Keep a basket of small slips of paper on the table. Write notes of thankfulness during the week and read them to each other during a family meal.
  14. Remember to thank God for blessings each day.
  15. Surprise your family (or friends) with little gifts or treats to show you thought of them.
  16. No grumbling about minor annoyances around the house.
  17. Do special things to cherish time with your family. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
  18. Reflect on happy memories regularly. Make inspiration boards of special times.
  19. Help someone out without them having to ask you. Watch for someone in need.
  20. When you are doing household chores, be grateful you have a home to clean.\
"How wonderful it would be if we could help our children and grandchildren to learn thanksgiving at an early age. Thanksgiving opens the doors. It changes a child's personality. A child is resentful, negative-or thankful. Thankful children want to give, they radiate happiness, they draw people." ~ Sir John Templeton

Finally a verse that holds special importance for me. A verse I try to model my life on daily although at times I do fall far short of this.

Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Finally some things I am thankful for this week:
1. God's provision and answsered prayers.
2. Lovely hot cups of tea made by my husband
3. great weekend with the girls
4. Finally getting some paper work in regards to my job.
5. Coming home to a clean living area - thanks to my precious daughter.
6. Karen and her thoughtfulness and the beautiful bunch of flowers she gave me on the weekend.
7. MSN chats with Ali.
8. Creative inspiration.
9. God's Word
10. Great friends

7 comments:

Melanie H July 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

Beautiful layouts Karen, I love the idea of the Gratitude album.

The digi layout is stunning too.

Nat July 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

What a beautiful blessing your post has been today Karen... all that joy and thankfulness, you have inspired me, thankyou! Love your layouts.

BluePixo July 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

When children see that the family is working together toward a goal, or working together to make life better for one or more members, they are much better able to understand that doing the work of the household is a form of power. They see that their work contributes to the good of all, that they are appreciated, and that they make life better when they pitch in.


*BluePixo Entertainment - A place for mom and dad to share topics about parenthood*

Carol July 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

I love the idea of your Joy album and your pages are gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing your gratitude quotes, we all need reminders at times.

Katie August 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

So glad you've started up your joy journal again! You've inspired me to start listing the things I'm thankful for on my blog!

Miss H August 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

LOVE the new look :-D & the gratitude pages are looking great!!

Edleen August 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

your album is really wonderful Karen! hope to see more pages :)

i *heart* the gratitude post.
Thanks for sharing :)

Happy August!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP