Tuesday, January 29, 2013

DEVASTATION ALONG OUR COAST AS SEVERE WILD WEATHER HITS THE COAST OF QLD...

I have felt sick in the stomach for the last few days as I have been glued to the television watching the record breaking floods in Bunaberg, and my stomach just is churning as I watch it all unfold before my eyes...
I am still in shock and disbelief as I watch the massive rescue operations as they physically airlift over 1000 people to safety from North Bundaberg... See it tugs at my heart strings, because I grew up in Bundaberg..
Not only did I grow up in Bundaberg
But I grew up in North Bundaberg...
I lived on the only hill in North Bundaberg....
I remember my dad would often say that almost the whole of Bundaberg would have to go underwater before we would....
That is how certain he was that we would never been flooded...
Well yesterday.... my childhood home succumbed to the flood waters...
My brother and sister in laws house has flooded,  not only their home but their rental home also...
Steve's Nanna's home has be inundated with water...
Quite a few of our friends have had to be evacuated....
The whole hospital was evacuated and all patients transferred to the capital city...
Schools became nursing homes...
Still the magnitude of this disaster is still unbelievable....
I love this town and it's people...
I spent a week there only a month ago...
Places we visited then... are now metres under water...
The river broke it's bank early yesterday morning, and they had a massive rescue effort yesterday as they bought in helicopters from all over Australia to make the mandatory evacuations of North Bundaberg... The river broke it's banks yesterday morning, and with a river raging down towards the ocean,  our premier was worried that the speed and force of the river would take homes off their stumps ad take them out to sea...
I have photos of this record breaking flood....
Once again these are for my  BENEFIT....

Aerial view of Bundaberg....
Unbelievable how this bridge just goes nowhere..-  Everything is covered in water.....
Looking at Hinkler Place...
Looking across to North Bundaberg....
 The photo below is of our Burnett Traffic Bridge  when not in flood.
It is very high off the river
The river here is still highter than normal...
This was what this bridge looked like this morning,.. and the river is sill rising....
Burnett Traffic Bridge this morning 29-1-13 AROUND 6AM
Reday to lap the bridge
Aerial view
Not long to go until the water laps the bridge...
Burnett Traffic Bridge
The hospital has had to be evacuated as the waters creep into the bottom level there...
Bundaberg Base Hospital
 The new Tallon Bridge over the Burnett River has been closed and sealed off... It is unknown how this bridge will hold up with the amount of debris coming down he river....
I cannot believe these photos...
The debris has backed up against the bridge....
The ocean side of the bridge...

The new bridge
 The Finemore Caravan Park which is located close to the city is underwater,,, Caravans covered up to their roofs...
Tops of the caravans above the flood waters....
Some of the devastation of North Bundaberg.....
The IGA supermarket in North Bundaberg.... Only the roof is left uncovered...
 The foundry becomes a landmark also...
Bundaberg Foundry...

The Government assisted by sending i the Black Hawk helicopters to help lift out those people stranded in North Bundaberg....
One of 14 telescopes \that came in to rescue everyone....
Schools became nurnsing homess...
Hospital conditions set up under the Gooburrum School

The elderly being hospitalized at schools....

East Bundberg got totally flooed also...
My brother in law and my sister in Law house in East Bundaberg was submerged 
And the East End Pub went under too...
This pub is across the road from the church we were married in.... which means our old pub would have gone under too.
East end Pub...
There are plenty of more photos that i could share,,, but have run out of time
So many more posts I still need to be shared,  unfortunately  I am falling asleep so thill have to keep until some other time....

1 comments:

Anonymous January 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM  

I want to know how bad Loeskow Street is. I own a house there and haven't had any information.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP