Friday, February 1, 2013

UNBELIEVABLE DAMAGE - MY HEART STILL BELONGS TO BUNDABERG

Today, the pictures are emerging of a lot of the damage that Bundaberg suffered in their all time record flood.  I am still struggling to beleive that Bundaberg went through such a drastic natural disaster.
I mean I am still a Bundy girl at heart...
It is where I grew up...
It is where our families are....
It is where I spent the first 22 years of my life...
It is where I met Steve...
It is where our memories are....
So it has been such a shock to see the devastation that this beautiful city has suffered this week.
My stomach has been churning all week...
As I watch in total disbelief all that has unfolded....
I am even more shocked at seeing the horrendous amount of damage done to this beautiful city as the waters retreat.
It saddens me that whilst the rest of the country moves on and gets on with their lives....
The folks of Bundy are going to be living with this for months and months...
Possibly all year...
There are things they have lost forever....

The new bridge across the Burnett River,  has never really been tested in a flood...
As the waters got up and couldn't run under it anymore, the bridge was closed.
What a huge shock to  find that when the water  went down...
This is what was left....



The Tallon Bridge in Bundaberg
A real Mess and it might be some time before we can drive over this bridge....
Pretty sure that the build up of all this debris contributed to the bridge caving in....
Debris washing up against the bridge - it had no where to go.....
This photo leaves no doubt that the home I grew up in was flooded... I have circled our home... it is clear to see that the flood waters were all around it...
Our home has the white oval around it..... so sad
There was plenty of damage in our street,,, just looking at these photos breaks my heart... The photo below was taken just out in front of where my Dad had his new car showroom.....
I spent time down here and on this footpath every day of my childhood....
Just outside the area where my Dad had his new car showroom...
More photos of my neighbourhood.
Hinkler Avenue
 This house was just a few doors up from where I lived.... seeing the water lines around it leaves me in no doubt that our place flooded...
The house down the road....
 Thought I would share a few more aerial views of Bundaberg......
Water everywhere
Bridges in the foreground... looking into North Bundaberg.....
Add caption
House moved off its stumps
 The above photo shows the force and power of the water... It shifted homes of their stumps and just dumped them anywhere.... This house landed on the road....
 Large boats left high and dry....
High and Dry
This trawler got caught up in all the power lines in East Bundaberg....
The mouth of the Burnett River at Burnett Heads
 Even if we wanted to head home this weekend.... we would have to travel an extra hour or so as both roads into Bundy through Miriam Vale and Gin Gin are closed because of massive damage to the roads...
This is a section of road that we would normally travel into Bundaberg on.
I think it will be many months before we will be able to go home the back way...
Bridge washed out over the Kolan River...
On the homefront...
Rocky is in a mess also...
Once again we are flooded....
The river here reached 8.4metres and is still rising....
By tonight the Capricorn Highway is cut off...
They are expecting us to be cut off  on the Bruce Highway by the weekend...

This is what our supermarkets look like....
Empty fridges
Empty Shelves...
 We did go for  quick drive last night....
The light was fading so I didn't get too many photos of flood waters.
However I did manage to take some photos of amazing sunsets...
We don't go outside and enjoy them enough.
So amidst all the devastation and sadness, there is still pretty...
Thank you Lord for your goodness to us....

Tonight I am going to leave you with some photos of our beautiful sunsets we experience in Central Qld.... 
Our beautiful sunsets

Sunset over a flooded Yeppen.

Love these pastel coloirs////

1 comments:

Darryl Iorio April 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM  

It was very unfortunate for this to have happened to Bundaberg. It's going to take a lot to get everything fixed and in working order. I can't even begin to fathom how hard the cleanup is to deal with the amount of water damage and other potential problems the flood brought to your town. I sincerely hope everyone is getting on better since then.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP