Sunday, February 27, 2022

BAKING ON A WET DAY...

 Thursday morning we spent packing ready to leave on Friday as we were due to head back to Rocky.  We woke to a wet morning once again, but it did seem to clear up around lunch time...

My friend Barb was keen for one last catch up as she had really wanted me to spend some time with me so that I could show her how to use Snapfish program to create a photo book for her Grandson's 6th Birthday which was coming up in March.

We had talked about having a swim also, so I took my togs up with me.  By the time I got there, it was raining again, so we gave the swim a miss and spent the afternoon creating her photobook.

She dropped me home just after 4.30pm and I finished packing our suitcase ready for Steve to load it in the car the following morning...

We were still getting messages about a Severe Weather event that was due to happen over the weekend, although when looking at the BOM site before heading to bed it looked to us to be weakening..

Our plan was to get up by 7am and get the sheets and towels washed whilst Steve packed the car, and then a  quick vacuum out before we headed off..

That was not to be.  Sometime after 1am, the rain started and it was torrential... In fact by the time we woke up it was unrelenting and we couldn't even open the door of the house, the wind and rain was so strong.  In fact in less than 6 hours, we had well over 6 inches of rain..

We were being given advice to keep off the roads, and as the rain was so driven, we had no desire to spend 4 to 5 hours on the road driving to Bundaberg.  The  BOM site showed strong rain all the way up the coast.  Steve rang his parents to let them know that we wouldn't be traveling in this weather.

There was nothing we could do, Steve couldn't get out to the shed to tinker out there, it was too wet to sand the spack fill from fixing the ceiling.  That was another job Steve wanted to do before we left...

We were pretty low on food, as I had been running everything down to go home... We only had a couple of slices of bread left, no real salad or vegetables.  

What were we to do other than watching a movie or two.  I still had a cake mix in the cupboard so rather than make a cake, I ended up using it to make cupcakes with the packet mix instead...

Lemon cupcakes...

Steve was keen for me to put plenty of icing on each of the cupcakes...
 
Nothing nicer than a nice hot cup of tea and a cup cake for two for morning tea on a very wet miserable day...

Morning and afternoon tea...

 

I must admit, I have enjoyed cooking in my little kitchen down here.  The oven here is really good,  I don't think I have had a fail in it yet.  Normally I don't do any baking, but the constant stream of visitors we have had down here means that I have got to bake way more than I ever do at home in Rocky...

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP