Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Special Celebration

We have had a great weekend away. This very special lady turned 95 today. So yesterday we had a surprise birthday party for her, in Bundaberg, and over 40 family members turned up for the celebrations. Her grandchildren and great grandchildren came from all up and down the east coast of Australia to help her celebrate. We got to catch up with cousins we haven't seen for 5-10 years. Not only is Nana Latham a real character but she is a remarkable woman as well and has only just recently given up her licence and stopped playing golf. Her life has not always been easy, but she has always been one of the most positive woman I have ever met - very indepentent, very talented and a wonderful role model. She has loved life and enjoyed every minute of it. She has not kept in good health the last couple of months, but I am sure that everyone getting together yesterday to help her celebrate this special birthday has given her a new lease on life.
Just a few more photos to share of the weekend.
Even though these guys don't get to see each other very often, they still all joined in and had some fun playing hacky sack.
Nana cutting her Birthday Cake. The cake was made by Steve's aunty "Patti"
We had some group family photos taken
Then we had some individual family group photos take with Nana and Mel.
Finally a photo of Nana's oldest granddaughter, and with two of her great grand daughters and her grand daughter in law.

The party finished about 5.30pm, but that didn't stop the partying. Most of the cousins stayed in units just around from Steve's parents, so we ended up visiting with them last night and honestly by the time we got home our jaws were just throbbing from laughing so much. It is always great to have a weekend like that.

Finally before I go just want to see my blessing for this week and some things I am thankful for this week.

52 Blessings - Week 2
My blessing for this week is Prayer -
Prayer is such a huge blessing in my life - the fact that I have a relationship with God and can talk to Him about anything - Whilst I pray daily for things - sometimes it is just rushed prayers and I know it is more that God desires a more intimate relationship with me, a time of worship, and taking time out of the business of my life to take the time to be still and listenwith my heart. I pray that I will be more like the Psalmist David who prayed and walked and talked and worshiped God at all times.
Reading the first few verses of Psalm 5 this morning is what has prompted this blessing for me this week.
Give ear to my words, o Lord, consider my meditation. Give heed to the voice of my cry, My King and my God, for to You I will pray. My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up.

6 Things I am thankful for this week.

1. A great weekend catching up with family
2. Safe travel both two an from Bundaberg.
3. That Chloe was able to clock up almost 7 hours of driving this weekend.
4. For Nana Latham - her example, and her zest for life.
5. Going out on a date with my husband tonight,
6. That we can communicate with God whenever, and where ever we are. He desires this from us.

4 comments:

Melanie H August 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

Happy Birthday to Nana Latham.
It was wonderful that she was surrounded by all her loved ones for her birthday.

Beautiful photos Karen.

Carol August 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

Big happy birthday cheer to Nana Latham.

Chrissy August 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Happy Birthday wishes to Nana Latham, makes my heart feel overwhelmed with joy that she is surrounded by her family like that. I hope that will be me too one day...

Edleen August 11, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

Happy Birthday Sweet 95! :)

you've taken such fun pictures Karen and i'm sure you'll be scrapping some of them ;)

wishing you and family a great week!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP