Monday, November 23, 2009

Mini RLO Reunion

Spent a wonderful weekend at Bargara outside of Bundaberg where I got to catch up with 4 other ex RLO's. What a weekend. These girls never fail to make me smile and laugh. Karen from Emerald arrived in on Friday, picked me up and we ventured down to Benaraby where we picked up Helen, and then drove through to Bundaberg. The lovely Maureen and her husband Don had already booked us into our Unit down at Bargara. You can imagine my shock when we arrived to find out that the very Units that Maureen had booked us into were now situated on the very block of land that had been Steve and my first home when we got married 30 old years ago. We lived on the top floor of a set of units that was built there. Unfortunately the units we lived in were torn down and replaced with this lovely set of units that we stated in. As you can image it was quite nostalgic for me and it was like a trip down memory lane. The whole weekend felt a little like then as I explored a lot of the area in which I had grown up. Maureen also supplied us with a wonderful dinner which honestly melted in our mouths. Janet and her husband Richard arrived within 10 minutes of us and we all shared a three bedroom unit right on the beach. Lots of laughter, hugs and stories were shared over a couple of bottles of wine.

On Saturday, we had a bit of a sleep in and then Richard, followed by Helen had a dip in the ocean whilst, Janet, Karen B and I all walked to Bargara. We had breakfast at 10am and were still sitting in the BarBQue area of the resort at 1pm so obviously breakfast turned into Brunch. We spent the afternoon chatting and having a look at the many photos that Richard and Janet had taken on their trip to Canada and Alaska. They have only been home a couple of weeks from their holiday of a lifetime. Late Saturday afternoon Maureen and I went for a drive around Bargara and to the supermarket. I grew up in Bundaberg so it was nice going to visit some of my old haunts and seeing how much it had all changed.

Saturday night we all went to the Bargara Pub for dinner and had our dinner out in the open on a deck that went out to the footpath - just a lovely evening, lovely company and a beautiful breeze. We we arrived home Richard, Janet, Karen and I all played a game of "Hearts" until close on midnight.

Sunday we spent exploring some of the other beaches in the area. we went down to Mon Repos where the turtles come up to nest. This was also another stomping ground from my youth. When I was in my teenage years, this was a beach we hung out at each week, so it was definately very interesting to go back and see how little it has changed in the last thirty years. it is still a gorgous beach though - took photos to share. We also then went for a drive to Burnett Heads. Took a photo of the old lighthouse. When I was growing up we always had our Sunday School picnic down here in the park where this lighthouse now stands. Had to take a photo for memories sake. After visiting these couple of beaches we went to Maureen and Don's home for a lovely lunch - exquisite salads that just made your mouth water - and after devouring them all we realized that we had not taken photos. We left Bundaberg about 4pm and arrived home at about 7.30pm last night. The weekend was such a HUGE success that we have decided to make it an annual event for at least the five of us, but also we have decided to organise a long weekend for the rest of the other RLO's in Brisbane for the middle of next year. Of course I have photos to share.
Just wanted to share a few of these photos with you.
This is the view from the front lawn of our unit - straight down onto the beach and it is a really safe family beach.
This photo was taken from the beach looking back towards our units and the pool.
Hade to take a photo of this shelter shed cause it hasn't changed in the slightest from when I was a kid. We used to often come down to here as a family after work and school for a swim and to have dinner in this shelter shed. Ah the memories. Us all having a late brunch on the beach with Maureen's son Phil. He often speaks to us on the phone but had never met us personally so he came down to visit and introduce himself om the Saturday morning. Such a lovely guy.
Photo of the five of us - five out of fifteen. This weekend is definately on the agenda to become a yearly event.

Just as we left Bundaberg, I got Karen to take us for a drive through the new Botanical Gardens, ( well technically they are not new now because they would have to be over ten years old. As I said before, I grew up in Bundy and it holds lots of wonderful memories for me, but another very special memory I have of Bundaberg is that of these gardens that my Dad was responsible for bringing to the city. You see he was Mayor of Bundaberg for many years and the drive through the Botanical Gardens was named after him. Of course I just had to stop and take a photo didn't I.
Last week, my friend Irene also came over one night and we sat and made some more cards together. Just thought I would share some of the new cards I made with Irene.
Got to play with my new Martha Stewart edge punch. So much fun.
Pretty basic card but I was happy with the way it turned out.
I had a play with the cuttlebug and the nestabilities with this card.

I was playing around with the Fancy boarder punch a bit more here. This card was made to go with the Secret sister gift for my secret sister at church, and here is a photo of the gift and card together.
Well another three day weekend has come and gone and it is back to work again tomorrow. I am only at work for one day this week as on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I am off to a Literacy Training Seminar for three days. Then there are only two more weeks of school until our holidays. Steve actually finishes work this week - lucky thing, although I am sure he will be back at school again next week for a few days just to tidy up some loose ends from the year. Honestly where has this year gone. It just seems to have flown.

I have so many things I am thankful for and feel grateful for this week.

1. A wonderful weekend with a wonderful group of woman.
2. Unique friendships.
3. Sleepovers
4. Safety as we travelled on the weekend.
5. Meeting Phil.
6. Pedicures and manicures
7. Lunch with Karen B today.
8. An hour and a half of exercise in the pool tonight.
9. New red and white coffee mug
10. Air conditioning.

1 comments:

Kathy Jones November 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Such a lot going on in your life!!! Looks like you had a great time in Bundy and your cards look fabulous too!!! :)

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP